“In this book Jutta Eckstein and John Buck give us a guided tour, complete with details, insights, and advice. It’s a book full to the brim with useful nuggets of information and pointers to further study.
Start here, enjoy their lucid prose, and get inspired. Our organisations are no longer fit-for-purpose, but the practical treatment presented in this book offers hope that they can evolve into responsible corporate citizens and humane places to work.“
~ Seb Rose, author of “Discovery: Explore behaviour using examples” & of “The Cucumber for Java Book”
The book has been featured in the top 10 Corporate Finance And Budgeting Books List by the Public Company Community.
Have a look in the book! Download here a sample chapter.
Find out more by meeting us.
Zur deutschen BOSSA nova Seite
Get our book in traditional Chinese
– Agile BOSSA nova: an “Unrecipie” for Thinking Outside the Box with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy – Webinar hosted by Sociocracy for All
– Company-Wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, and Sociocracy – International Sociocracy Online Conference 2018
– Sociocracy: Thinking Smarter Together, TEDxUMD Talk
– Company-wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting …, Business Agility Conference 2018
What is BOSSA nova?
BOSSA nova is…
… an approach for company-wide agility. It enables your company to be agile, nimble, and flexible by combining
- Beyond Budgeting (adaptive budgeting),
- Open Space (leveraging the power of innovation from all employees),
- Sociocracy (flexible organizational structure that allows decentralized decision-making), and
- Agile (continuous learning via experiments and feedback).
BOSSA nova makes company-wide agility possible.
Agile just by itself is revolutionary in the software world. Here’s what McKinsey said about Agile in October 2017:
“Agile performance units excel most often at strategy and people-related practices, and they outperform all other units in stability and dynamism.”
How can I Implement BOSSA?
Implement by probing, by doing experiments to understand the complexity of your organization’s Strategy, Structure, and Processes.
Is trust cheaper?
How can we both self-organize and stay aligned?
Should we change our legal structure?
Can our board of directors include a CEO, a representative elected by staff, and a customer without interfering with the board’s work?
How include customer feedback in board meetings?
Can we organize transformative learning?
Find out more by meeting us
Here is where we’re presenting next:
Manage Agile, Berlin, Germany, October 15-19
– BOSSA nova: Unternehmensweite Agilität mit Beyond-Budgeting, Open Space & Soziokratie
Advanced Facilitation Training, Online, October 18 – December 13
– This 6-session training is designed for those who have some experience with sociocracy but would like to deepen their skills in sociocracy and practice facilitation.
International Transformative Learning Conference, Columbia University, New York, USA, November 7 – 10
– Keynote: Build Cross-Functional Teams to Leap the Gaps
… from our presentation recordings
Agile BOSSA nova: an “Unrecipie” for Thinking Outside the Box… – Webinar hosted by Sociocracy for All
… from our articles
- The Wizard of OSS: Follow the Open Space and Sociocracy Road to Enterprise Agile Transformation published by Cutter
(Note: just sign up for your complimentary copy, no need to subscribe)
- What Does Company-Wide Agility Imply? published by infoQ
- Q&A on the Book Company-Wide Agility With Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy published by infoQ
- Connect Agile Teams to Organizational Hierarchy: A Sociocratic Solution together with Pieter van der Meché, published by infoQ
- Planning and Controlling Complex Projects published by infoQ
… from insights of our colleagues
- Why startups fumble at growth stage and how sociocracy could help build sustainable organisations by Amarendra Srivastava, published by YourStory
- Decision Making Systems Matter by Hendrik Esser, Jens Coldewey & Pieter van der Meché, published by Agile Alliance
About the authors
Jutta Eckstein works as an independent coach, consultant, trainer, author and speaker. She has helped many teams and organizations worldwide to make agile transitions. She is experienced in applying agile processes within medium-sized to large, distributed mission-critical projects and has written about her experiences. She holds a M.A. Business Coaching & Change Management, a Dipl.Eng. Product-Engineering, and a B.A. in Education.
She is a member of the Agile Alliance (having served on the board of directors from 2003-2007) and a member of the program committee of many different American, Asian and European conferences, where she has also presented her work.
John Buck is the coauthor of We the People: Consenting to a Deeper Democracy, about sociocracy, a sustainable system for organizing and running organizations. In one sense, sociocracy is democracy specially designed for use in organizations. He heads a division of The Sociocracy Group an international training and consulting organization headquartered in the Netherlands. John has many training workshops and sociocracy implementation projects for a variety of organizations. John’s research and development is ongoing. For example, he is working with Fujitsu’s advanced software lab to develop Weaver, software that helps meetings go better – in-person, online, and asynchronous.
John Buck has extensive management experience with government and corporations, including managing large information technology projects. John is the first person, not native to the Netherlands, to be certified in the sociocracy circle-organization method. His clients spanthe globe and include plastics manufacturers, colleges and universities, long-term care facilities, co-housing groups, NGOs and software company’s. By guiding clients in “rewiring” their basic power structure he helps them toward greater efficiency and increased employee engagement.