“ It’s a book full to the brim with useful nuggets of information and pointers to further study. Start here, enjoy their lucid prose, and get inspired. Our organisations are no longer fit-for-purpose, but the practical treatment presented in this book offers hope that they can evolve into responsible corporate citizens and humane places to work.“
~ Seb Rose, Co-Author of Discovery: Explore behaviour using examples
The book has been featured in the top 10 Corporate Finance And Budgeting Books List by the Public Company Community.
Have a look in the book! Download here a sample chapter.
Find out more by meeting us at conferences.
Connect & discuss BOSSA nova in our Linked In Group.
Zur deutschen BOSSA nova Seite
Get our book in traditional Chinese
– Interview with Jay Hrcsko from AgileUprising on BOSSA nova
– Agile BOSSA nova: an “Unrecipie” for Thinking Outside the Box with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy – Webinar hosted by Sociocracy for All
– BOSSA nova: Company-Wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, and Sociocracy – Agile Middle East 2019, Dubai
– Company-Wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, and Sociocracy – International Sociocracy Online Conference 2018
What is BOSSA nova?
BOSSA nova is…
… an approach for company-wide agility. It enables your company to be agile, nimble, and flexible by combining
- Beyond Budgeting (adaptive budgeting),
- Open Space (leveraging the power of innovation from all employees),
- Sociocracy (flexible organizational structure that allows decentralized decision-making), and
- Agile (continuous learning via experiments and feedback).
BOSSA nova makes company-wide agility possible.
Agile just by itself is revolutionary in the software world. Here’s what McKinsey said about Agile in October 2017:
“Agile performance units excel most often at strategy and people-related practices, and they outperform all other units in stability and dynamism.”
How can I Implement BOSSA?
Implement by probing, by doing experiments to understand the complexity of your organization’s Strategy, Structure, and Processes.
Is trust cheaper?
How can we both self-organize and stay aligned?
Should we change our legal structure?
Can our board of directors include a CEO, a representative elected by staff, and a customer without interfering with the board’s work?
How include customer feedback in board meetings?
Can we organize transformative learning?
Find out more by meeting us
Here is where we’re presenting next:
NDC Tech Town, Kongsberg, Norway (September 2-5)
– 2-day Workshop on Company-wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy (short: BOSSA nova) (September 2-3)
– Talk on BOSSA nova in a Nutshell: Overview on the Synthesis of Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, Sociocracy & Agile
Agile Rock Conference 2019, Kiev, Ukraine (September 20-22)
– Workshop on Learn Fast – Don’t Fail Fast: Workshop on the Essentials of BOSSA nova, the synthesis of Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, Sociocracy & Agile (September 20)
– Talk on Dance the BOSSA nova! How Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy enable Business Agility (September 21)
DevLin 2019, Linköping, Sweden (October 16-17)
– Workshop on Learn Fast – Don’t Fail Fast: Workshop on the Essentials of BOSSA nova, the synthesis of Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, Sociocracy & Agile (October 16)
– Keynote on BOSSA nova / exact title tbd (October 17)
Bosnia Agile Day 2019, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina (October 19)
– Keynote on BOSSA nova: Company-wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy
Women in Agile Europe 2019, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (November 7)
– Keynote on BOSSA nova / exact title tbd (November 7)
Italian Agile Days 2019, Modena, Italy (November 8 – 9)
– Keynote on BOSSA nova / exact title tbd (November 9)
OOP 2020, Munich, Germany, February 03 – 07, 2020
– with Renate Willimann: Reflektieren – Hypothesen aufstellen – Experimentieren: Perpetuum mobile zur Business Agility, February 05
Agile Australia 2020, Melbourne, Australia (June 15 – 16)
– Keynote on BOSSA nova / exact title tbd
– full day Workshop on BOSSA nova in Melbourne (June 17)
– full day Workshop on BOSSA nova in Sydney (June 19)
Sessions & trainings on related topics
– Jutta’s upcoming events on Agile (and of course also on BOSSA nova).
– Events calendar for deep dives in Beyond Budgeting.
– Events calendar for Open Space by the Open Space World.
– Training options by Sociocracy For All.
– Events calendar on agile (un)conferences & trainings announced by the Agile Alliance.
… from our presentation recordings
Probe your Organization! How Complexity Supports implementing Business Agility, Business Agility 2019, Vienna
Agile BOSSA nova: an “Unrecipie” for Thinking Outside the Box… – Webinar hosted by Sociocracy for All
… from our podcasts
… from our articles
- Surprising Challenges When Trying Agile Company-Wide published by Cutter
(Note: just sign up for your complimentary copy, no need to subscribe)
- Making Companies Nimble—From Software Agility to Business Agility – interview by Thomas Ronzon, Cessare Pautasso & Olaf Zimmermann and published by IEEE Software
- How can Agile support company-wide Agility published by Kanbanize
- The Wizard of OSS: Follow the Open Space and Sociocracy Road to Enterprise Agile Transformation published by Cutter
(Note: just sign up for your complimentary copy, no need to subscribe)
- What Does Company-Wide Agility Imply? published by infoQ
- Q&A on the Book Company-Wide Agility With Beyond Budgeting, Open Space & Sociocracy published by infoQ
- Connect Agile Teams to Organizational Hierarchy: A Sociocratic Solution together with Pieter van der Meché, published by infoQ
- Planning and Controlling Complex Projects published by infoQ
… from insights of our colleagues
- How these 3 Companies Manage Cost Without a Traditional Budget by Bjarte Bogsnes published by the Corporate Rebels
- Mayflower’s approach to salary negotiations by Björn Schotte, blog post on LinkedIn
- Why Budgeting Cripples Agile and Innovation by Steve Denning published by Forbes
- Why startups fumble at growth stage and how sociocracy could help build sustainable organisations by Amarendra Srivastava, published by YourStory
- The 5 Trademarks of Agile Organizations, by Wouter Aghina, Aaron De Smet, Gerald Lackey, Michael Lurie, and Monica Murarka published by and researched for McKinsey
- Decision Making Systems Matter by Hendrik Esser, Jens Coldewey & Pieter van der Meché, published by Agile Alliance
- On Understanding Software Agility – A Social Complexity Point of View by Joseph Pelrine
About the authors
Jutta Eckstein works as an independent coach, consultant, trainer, author and speaker. She has helped many teams and organizations worldwide to make agile transitions. She is experienced in applying agile processes within medium-sized to large, distributed mission-critical projects and has written about her experiences. She holds a M.A. Business Coaching & Change Management, a Dipl.Eng. Product-Engineering, and a B.A. in Education.
She is a member of the Agile Alliance (having served on the board of directors from 2003-2007) and a member of the program committee of many different American, Asian and European conferences, where she has also presented her work.
John Buck is President of GovernanceAlive LLC, an international training and consulting organization headquartered Washington, DC, USA. The firm also offers mediation and meeting facilitation services. John has taught many training workshops on sociocracy and led many implementation projects for a variety of organizations, more recently expanding to include BOSSA nova. He serves on the boards of various other organizations. His research and development is ongoing. For example, he is working with Fujitsu’s advanced software lab to develop Weaver, software that helps meetings go better – in-person, online, and asynchronous.
John Buck has extensive management experience with government and corporations, including managing large information technology projects. His clients span the globe and include plastics manufacturers, schools, colleges and universities, long-term care facilities, co-housing groups, NGOs, food producers, and software companies. He holds an MA in Quantitative Sociology from The George Washington University.