BOSSA Nova: A Synthesis of Management Concepts
This article is the fifth and final article in a planned series prepared from our new book: Company-Wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, and Sociocracy. The first four articles summarized each of the BOSSA nova core values: Self Organization, Transparency, Constant Customer Focus, and Continuous Learning. This article summarizes the four values. We would like to turn it into a poster for hanging on an office wall:
Self-organization: Use accountable cross-functional teams that select themselves and follow their passion with responsibility.
- Use accountable cross-functional teams
- At different levels of abstraction
- With a common aim (meaning clear purpose, measures, and targets) that
- Govern through shared values and ideals not through rules.
- Select themselves (for a meaningful duration),
- Follow their passion with responsibility for whole and meaningful pieces of work, and
- Hold retrospectives and align them across the enterprise to optimize the whole.
Transparency: Create transparency for all involved in two directions by providing information and lowering the barriers to those seeking information:
- Provide information
- On progress and delivery related to common aim;
- To information needed for
- Making informed decisions
- Self-regulation, innovation, and learning.
Constant Customer Focus: “Focus wide” on every aspect of the company: product & process, structure and strategy, and individual contributions and people.
Product & Process
- Common aim as, for example, summarized in a minimum viable product;
- Narratives capturing the ideas of personas in user stories;
- Feedback on each production step as, for example, made transparent by a value stream analysis.
Structure & Strategy
- Includes owners (shareholders),
- Value centers & support service teams,
- Rolling forecasting.
Individual contributions / people
- Passion bounded by responsibility guides contribution,
- Relative individual objectives not fixed ones.
Continuous Learning: Always learn and contribute to others’ learning, get feedback and adapt.
- Learning / contributing to others learning guides all work.
- Role improvement reviews with peer feedback,
- Individual objectives separated from bonuses.
- Your plans as you develop (where development equals learning / training, teaching, researching in interaction with your aim.